Monday, December 7, 2009
Times, They are so Slow
I once had a work supervisor who used to ask "why do the days go by so slow but the weeks go by so fast?" Why is it that when you have five weeks until break the weeks go by fast but as you near a break, time goes by so slow? We have two weeks left until Christmas break, and it feels like it's dragging. I like to think of myself as having a semi-scientific mind. And so it's weird to me to think about time in a different sense than in science. Time is never changing, always moving at the same constant rate--or so we define it in science. But unscientifically, we also base time on how we feel. "Time is dragging on." "Break flew by." Just like everything else, we base time on how we feel. Right now I feel like time is so slow, but whether I feel like it or not, time is still moving at the same speed. It's crazy how our minds make it seem fast when we are engaged and busy and slow when we are waiting for it to pass.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment